Routing

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Juniper to Cisco serial ports cabling

Posted 10-24-2020 14:14

I am trying to connect a Juniper Dual Port PIM JX-2Serial-S card installed in a Juniper J2320 route to a Cisco dual serial port card installed in a Cisco 1821 router.  I have connected the Cisco to another Cisco and been able to ping between the two Cisco routers.  I have connected a Smart Serial Male DTE to LFH60 Male DC crossover cable between the Cisco serial port and the port on Cisco 2523 device and that works.

I have configured a GE port on the Juniper J2320 so that I can connect it to the network port on a laptop and access the Juniper J-Web page and I can see the Juniper Dual Port PIM JX-2Serial-S card.  I have set the card up with a correct IP address, PPP encapsulation and tried both internal clock and set clock for 64Khz.  But the lights on both the Juniper card (stays red) and the Cisco card (no light at all) indicate there is a problem with the physical layer.

So am I using the wrong type of cable?

Or am I missing something else?

Thank you for your assistance.

David Adams

Mobile, AL

• 2.  Re: Juniper to Cisco serial ports cabling

Posted 10-31-2020 08:25

I am following the free Juniper training and have obtained a Juniper Networks J2320 with one JX-2Serial-S Dual-Port Synchronous Serial PIM that I am trying to connect to a Cisco Dual 2 Port High Speed Serial card with ZERO success.  When I use a browser to connect to the Juniper J2320 using the ge-0/0/0, I can see the JX-2Serial-S Dual-Port Synchronous Serial PIM (se-1/0/0).  However, it shows physical link down when I have a DTE (Juniper side) to DCE (Cisco side) cable connected between the two devices.  Can't get ANY support from Juniper and because I am of no real $$$$ value to their partners, no one is interested in helping me, even for a fee.

Kind of discouraging Juniper offers "free" certification training but absolutely NO support, even for a fee . . .

If you can offer any help, links, someone to contact, I am willing to pay a fee.

Thank you,

David Adams

Mobile, AL

• 3.  Re: Juniper to Cisco serial ports cabling

Posted 10-31-2020 09:43

Hello,

It's been a while but I am pretty sure You'd need a Juniper DTE (or DCE) cable as well

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000116-en.pdf

Juniper’s proprietary data terminal equipment (DTE) and data circuit-terminating
    equipment (DCE) cables available for each protocol (10 in all) with auto-detection for DTE/
    DCE modes

Apart from that, the J-series router product You are trying to learn has been EOL for a long time.

Then : serial interfaces are a rarity nowadays, found only in some military and legacy industrial installations, Ethernet rules the waves now.

Given Ethernet proliferation, my best advice is to buy a small Juniper SRX router from ebay and connect it with Ethernet only to other box(es) You may have.

HTH

Thx

Alex