Switching

View Only
last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Excessive DOT1Q logs

Posted 03-05-2021 10:01
    Hi,

I'm using EX2300s with 802.1x configured and all works well, but I get an excessive amount of logs referencing DOT1Q,  thousands every day, see below...

dc-pfe: LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1598:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed0 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    dc-pfe: LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1606:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed1 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    dc-pfe: LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1598:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed0 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    dc-pfe: LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1606:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed1 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    fpc0 LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1598:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed0 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    fpc0 LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1606:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed1 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    fpc0 LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1598:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed0 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0
    fpc0 LBCM-L2,brcm_rtag7_config_hash_seeds(),1606:bcm_switch_control_set, bcmSwitchHashSeed1 failed(ACL Unresolve DOT1Q failed:-16) on unit:0

If I disable 802.1x then I do not see these logs when a client connects, so I'm wondering if these are generated before 802.1x is successful before a Vlan tag can be assigned or something, but I may be way off.  I also thought maybe the RADIUS server was sending an ACL that was unwanted but I think I've ruled that out.

I can't seem to find an answer trawling the internet, can anyone shed any light on it. Is this expected behaviour? As I mentioned, everything functions as required but these logs are excessive and I currently filter them, but if I can tweak the config in some way to stop these I would prefer to.

Many thanks.

------------------------------

------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Excessive DOT1Q logs

Posted 03-05-2021 10:59
    Hi,

EX2300 does not support rtag7 hashing so these logs should not be impacting.

Which Junos version are you running ?

• 3.  RE: Excessive DOT1Q logs

Posted 03-05-2021 14:56

Thanks for the reply. 

Currently on 18.1R3-S11, but will probably move to the Juniper recommend version as I've also been getting some very random reboots with the switches. 

I was focused on the DOT1Q ACL part of the error so assumed it was to do with VLAN tagging, but are you suggesting it could be to do with the load-balancing hash for aggregate Ethernet maybe?
    Also the logs seem to not appear when 802.1x is disable on a port which confuses me. 

• 4.  RE: Excessive DOT1Q logs

Posted 03-05-2021 22:30
    These seems to be debug level logs which are not suppressed in 18.1 release. I checked the current suggested release 18.2R3-S5 and you should not see these logs here.

HTH

• 5.  RE: Excessive DOT1Q logs

Posted 03-06-2021 10:04
    Thanks for the info, appreciated.