Switching

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 14:19
    Does anyone have a good way to log what packet/frame triggered  storm control to make it kick in and log ?  
    l2ald[1978]: %DAEMON-1-L2ALD_ST_CTL_IN_EFFECT: xe-0/2/0.0: storm control in effect on the port 

I have yet to post a Jtac case and I plan too , but wanted to post on here too.
    Id love to see a knob to log  all packets that storm  control drops during until its back within the defined range..

I have seen this KB posted and I will be lab it up.
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB35880&cat=QFX5120&actp=LIST

• 2.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 19:04
    Pretty sure logging is only supported if you configure an actual BUM filter instead of built in storm control.

The basic setting is just there to protect the layer 2 network at a very high level, pretty sure it only kicks in at 80%.  So unless you are running a multicast stream on the port there is likely a loop here.

Unless the log is happening in as a software error by mistake.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-27-2021 09:51
    bonjour, 
    Very interesting.
    right now ,  I am more intent to just get Junos Space to send me a clear warning that a switch actually has storm-control in effect. When reviewing recent broadcast storms events,  I found the event on the switch, but JS did not sent me anything.  I coudl not even find the specific event when looking at the Junos Space  logs. 
    I plan to open a JTAC request on that particular issue. 
    Michel

Michel Lapointe

• 4.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-27-2021 10:18
    I feel you Michel.
    I just learned I had to set  my syslog  which was set to any any  to ALSO include daemon info to get my ospf recovery logs .  Where without the daemon inf
    it would NOT ever send a recovery adj created  .. It would only send ospf downs..   Saying that you may want to play with your syslog settings and post if you find the solution..

I will be doing the same on my side and share if I find the secret sauce :)