Switching

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

Expand all | Collapse all

Log Storm Control triggers

• 1.  Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 14:19
    Does anyone have a good way to log what packet/frame triggered  storm control to make it kick in and log ?  
    l2ald[1978]: %DAEMON-1-L2ALD_ST_CTL_IN_EFFECT: xe-0/2/0.0: storm control in effect on the port 

I have yet to post a Jtac case and I plan too , but wanted to post on here too.
    Id love to see a knob to log  all packets that storm  control drops during until its back within the defined range..

I have seen this KB posted and I will be lab it up.
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB35880&cat=QFX5120&actp=LIST

• 2.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-26-2021 19:04
    Pretty sure logging is only supported if you configure an actual BUM filter instead of built in storm control.

The basic setting is just there to protect the layer 2 network at a very high level, pretty sure it only kicks in at 80%.  So unless you are running a multicast stream on the port there is likely a loop here.

Unless the log is happening in as a software error by mistake.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-27-2021 09:51
    bonjour, 
    Very interesting.
    right now ,  I am more intent to just get Junos Space to send me a clear warning that a switch actually has storm-control in effect. When reviewing recent broadcast storms events,  I found the event on the switch, but JS did not sent me anything.  I coudl not even find the specific event when looking at the Junos Space  logs. 
    I plan to open a JTAC request on that particular issue. 
    Michel

Michel Lapointe

• 4.  RE: Log Storm Control triggers

Posted 05-27-2021 10:18
    I feel you Michel.
    I just learned I had to set  my syslog  which was set to any any  to ALSO include daemon info to get my ospf recovery logs .  Where without the daemon inf
    it would NOT ever send a recovery adj created  .. It would only send ospf downs..   Saying that you may want to play with your syslog settings and post if you find the solution..

I will be doing the same on my side and share if I find the secret sauce :)