Switching

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EVPN VGAs Virtual MAC address to originate packets

Posted 11-21-2021 11:47
    Hi! Experts

By default, the IRB interface in EVPN does not use VGAs' Virtual MAC address (00:00:5e:00:01:01)  to originate packets, it use interface real MAC address to originate packets instead .

Are there any special thoughts behind this? cause it will cause BUM flooding if peer is a layer 2 switch.

Thanks for your help!

• 2.  RE: EVPN VGAs Virtual MAC address to originate packets

Posted 11-22-2021 05:28
    Correct, that's why you need to configure the v4-gateway MAC.

unit 80 {
        virtual-gateway-accept-data;
        family inet {
            address 192.168.0.2/24 {
                preferred;
                virtual-gateway-address 192.168.0.1;
            }
        }
        virtual-gateway-v4-mac 00:00:5e:00:53:01;
    ​

• 3.  RE: EVPN VGAs Virtual MAC address to originate packets

Posted 11-26-2021 06:01
    Yes, I konw this knob, but I don't get the logical behind the JUNOS default behaviour.

• 4.  RE: EVPN VGAs Virtual MAC address to originate packets

Posted 11-22-2021 10:37
    This is indeed a big problem if you're using non-EVPN devices in your fabric. You will need to enable manual MAC address override as smicker suggested. In terms of how this impacts traffic, it's important to understand the forwarding behavior.  The leaf will install the next-hop for the ESI gateway segment if the VGA MAC is used. Meaning the leaf will load-balance to the gateway devices (per flow). If the unicast MAC is used, then you will not load-balance, rather you will send traffic directly on the VTEP tunnel. Although you will still load balance in the fabric. 

I did write a little article on how load-balancing works > EVPN-VXLAN | Virtual Gateway |QFX5k Forwarding | JUNOS – DAN HEARTY (wordpress.com)

------------------------------
    DANIEL HEARTY
    Principal Engineer
    ------------------------------