Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  What is the use case for community VLANs?

Posted 06-18-2021 02:37

Hi.

I understand a couple of use cases for isolated VLANs:

• Each hotel room having access to the internet but not to other rooms. Here each hotel room is in its own isolated vlan but in the same primary vlan (and hence in the same IP subnet)
    • Several web servers on a web-hosting network being accessible over the internet by customers but not by the other web servers. Here each web server is in its own isolated vlan but in the same primary vlan (and hence in the same IP subnet)

But what is the use case for community VLANs, where in multiple hosts within a single community VLAN can communicate with each other.

Thanks,

Deepak 

Juniper Business Use Only

• 2.  RE: What is the use case for community VLANs?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-01-2021 14:00
    Server that have common application and require local communication between each other would be a case. Based on requirements you could define all backup servers in the same community, and so on.

Is really up to you.

Regards,

Elvin

• 3.  RE: What is the use case for community VLANs?

Posted 07-02-2021 06:04
    I'm not familiar with the terms community vlan and isolated vlan so if you have a link to the documentation or site where you are reading about them it will be helpful.

I think the more typical terms that match here are just plain old vlan for community vlan.  This would be the default normal behavior where every host in the same subnet and broadcast domain can see and talk to each other.  This is simply the default and normal setup as vlans were originally created.

I think isolated vlans are generally called private vlans.  This was a construct created after normal vlans to add host privacy to a set of hosts in a broadcast domain where they each would only be able to see the default gateway out of the vlan.  Typically used in shared environments.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------