Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Need networking advice

Posted 08-16-2021 09:06

Hello,

I would like to get someone's opinion on the following changes I would like to make?

• Am I going in the right direction?
    • Is this the correct direction 
    • What would you do?

Just some Facts:

The current system is a mixture of old brocade and cisco switches and I would like to replace all with Juniper EX4300  switches. And setup VLANs, place DHCP on the network and the company has 1 location with approx. 175 users, 250 devices, and 85 servers mostly virtualized. All running on 3 VLANs.

I would like to get some feedback on the following changes I want to make during the 

Network cutover:

• Would like to change over the Main network subnet from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.10.0/24 Change from 1.0 network to 10.0 network 
    • change or move Server, Printers, and other equipment to their respective VLANs to simplify network traffic, this can be moved at another Time, not during the cutover
    • Separate Desktop phones and computers to their own network ports to increase network port speed to the users' devices (Currently all laptops and desktops are connected through the ShoreTel phone, which only allows the user to get 100MB network connection), this would increase user network connection to 1GB connection.
    • Move the wireless to its own VLAN and separate the WIFI networks, Main and GuestMove the building lighting controls to its own VLAN to separate it from our main network
    • Move the DHCP Service for each VLAN to the Network to improve network speed and offload this service from the Windows server. This will ensure if the Domain controller was ever down users could always connect to the network shares with cached user credentials and still be able to get to network shares and printers.
    •  If the Server DHCP was ever down users could always connect to the network shares with cached user credentials and still be able to get to network shares and printers.

These also can be moved or separated at another time, just wanted to get some feedback on these items

------------------------------
    RICK RUTLEDGE
    ------------------------------