Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  ex4550 Diagnostic Tests

Posted 02-17-2021 04:25
    Hi,

I have an ex4550 which has crashed it's primary image and is running on the secondary image.
    Is there any Diagnostic Tests i can run to Diagnose it?

And is it possible to export the software from the secondary image and import it to the primary image?

Thank you.

//Carsten

• 2.  RE: ex4550 Diagnostic Tests
    Best Answer

Posted 02-17-2021 06:50
    Hello Carsten,

in this case a corruption of the primary root partition happened. The best way to resolve this on a long-term basis is to perform an "install --format" to get a clean system again. You can find the instruction here:
    https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB20643

> And is it possible to export the software from the secondary image and import it to the primary image?
    If an "install --format" is not possible (e.g. device is at any location where access is not possible), you can copy the backup root partition to the primary and reboot the device:

request system snapshot slice alternate
    request system reboot slice alternate

------------------------------
    If my answer provides the solution, please mark my post as "Best Answer".
    If you think my answer helps, please "Recommend" my post.

• 3.  RE: ex4550 Diagnostic Tests

Posted 02-17-2021 07:43
    Hi,

Thank you. It didn't work, still booting from backup. Is it possible to copy software from another simular switch and then do the install --format.

I don't have the software or mainteance.

//Carsten

• 4.  RE: ex4550 Diagnostic Tests

Posted 02-17-2021 08:02

Hi Carsten,

unfortunately you need the original "Install Package" file, e.g. "jinstall-ex-4500-15.1R7-S8.1-domestic-signed.tgz". Without this file there is no format install possible.
    So it is not possible to copy this file from another similar switch, as Junos extracts this file for installation and deletes the original file under normal circumstances.

• 5.  RE: ex4550 Diagnostic Tests

Posted 02-17-2021 07:22
    Hello,

please ask your questions inside this forum instead of a private message, so that others can see this as well.

>So i just run this:
    >
    > request system snapshot slice alternate
    > request system reboot slice alternate

Exactly. If there is a major corruption on the root partition it could happen that the device fails to boot with this method. But in most cases it works fine.
    If it fails to boot again, you need to perform the "install --format" procedure.