Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX-UM-2X4SFP hot swap

Posted 12-02-2020 06:14
    Hi,
    I have a VC with two EX4200-48t. 
    The two devices do not have any modules installed.
    I need to install an EX-UM-2X4SFP module. Can I do it without turning off the equipment? Are they hot-swapping?

Thanks a lot
    Leonardo

• 2.  RE: EX-UM-2X4SFP hot swap

Posted 12-02-2020 06:21
    Hi Leonardo,

If you replace an uplink module with another uplink module of the same type,
    the switch detects the uplink module and creates an interface. However, if you replace
    an uplink module with an uplink module of a different type, or if you install an uplink
    module in the switch after the switch had booted without an uplink module, you
    must reboot the switch in order for the switch to detect the uplink module.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/uplink-module-ex3200-ex4200.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiGqf2dlq_tAhXSyaQKHaXWC8AQFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1o9mOKZyy4AufG7rDHk-ox

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Elchin
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: EX-UM-2X4SFP hot swap

Posted 12-02-2020 06:33
    Thanks a lot for the answer!

• 4.  RE: EX-UM-2X4SFP hot swap

Posted 12-07-2020 10:35
    Maybe, just maybe, you can get the module to work without a reboot. This particular uplink module is configurable to 4 x SFP or 2 x SFP+. You configure it this way:

set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 sfpplus pic-mode 1g
    or
    set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 sfpplus pic-mode 10g

Perhaps changing this and committing will make the switch query the hardware again to see if there's a module in there. I seem to remember having done this without rebooting, but I may be wrong. I'll try it on an EX3200 with the 4x1 G module (not reconfigurable, but still).

Edit: I hot-plugged an EX-UM-4SFP module into an EX3200-24T running 14.1X53-D40 and it didn't need a reboot! I can ping my network from the switch and all, so not just link on the interface. Now, the EX4200 is a different switch and it has a separate PFE for the expansion slot, which the EX3200 doesn't.

• 5.  RE: EX-UM-2X4SFP hot swap

Posted 12-11-2020 12:49
    It works, at least in an EX4200-24P running Junos 12.3R6.6! I just got hold of a used EX4200 with a module so I tried it.