Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Newbie EX2200 POE assistance

Posted 01-23-2022 20:00
    Firstly Hello,

I want to start by setting my background - I have NO experience with enterprise gear. that might be unusual for this forum but never the less it's where I'm at. I'm an electrician by trade and enjoy most things IT and learning new stuff. In an impulse buy,  I purchased an EX2200 POE 48 port switch off Ebay because I want to work towards networking my home and also run a couple of POE cameras, so had hoped this could be a 1 switch solution and the first addition to my network cabinet.

Now for the issue - Everything :). I guess it's already been configured by where ever it was previously installed, the seller wasn't the old owner just an IT company that wasn't able to assist.  I've read what I can from various juniper youtubes and the quick start guide, and it sounds like I should be able to connect to port 0 with network cable and use Jweb, but I don't seem to get anywhere. When the unit turns on it's like it's just power cycling, maybe hunting for something that it's not obviously finding. The Sys light is on and off along with the cycling and the only other light that flashes is the MGMT port on the rear. I've also tried network cable into the port at the rear but again it just continues power cycling. I don't have an rs232 adaptor to try that way. If i use a straight USB-A cable into the only usb port which is under the MGMT fans turn on but no unknown devices pop up into Dev Manager so I figure that's not any way it's meant to be done, but hey can't blame a guy for giving it a go. :)

If there's someone out there that could help me out I'd be more than appreciative, or should I cut my losses and run with tail between legs to find something else that might be less of a headache? and I ask that genuinely not knowing if this gear is easy or not to operate, but my lack of skill and luck so far has set the scene haha.

Thanks again Everyone

------------------------------
    ALLEN MADSEN

• 2.  RE: Newbie EX2200 POE assistance

Posted 01-23-2022 20:08
    From the description it sounds like the device has a corrupt drive right now and the only hope of recovery will be to get serial console access.

The usb port on the ex2200 is for flash drives not console access.  The RJ45 port there will be the console pins that would expect to terminate towards a serial port. 

These shipped with a RJ45 to db9 adapter that would allow a standard ethernet cable to make the correct pin connections there, but it sounds like your PC may only have usb ports and no db9 serial option.  In which case you would need a usb to serial adapter to use that.

Once you can see the output on the console and hopefully interrupt the apparent boot loop the potential recovery and fix process will depend on which prompt you end up on at that point.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Newbie EX2200 POE assistance

Posted 01-24-2022 05:33
    thankyou very much. for the response. andyour correct about my pc, although I've probably got an older laptop somewhere I can restore and use a serial connection, however my switch didn't arrive used with that adaptor which is probably where my luck ran out too, haha. I'm back at work towards the end of the week and I have a usb to rj45 adaptor there. Would that work rather than going from rj45>serial>usb. I'm not ready to give up on this semi dead horse just yet because I'd really like to get to the bottom of it and learn a couple of things. But this excursion into managed enterprise equipment has made me think twice that maybe I should stick with web smart or dumb switches. I'll report back with how I go once I get the right gear to try and connect this via serial etc.

ALLEN MADSEN

• 4.  RE: Newbie EX2200 POE assistance

Posted 01-24-2022 05:41
    Very likely the rj45 to usb adapter would work.  The Juniper devices do use the most common pin out for these ports.  But there are different pin outs with other manufacturers so it is possible it won't match. 

But if it does not match you can look up the pin out of that cable and create an adapter to flip whatever needs to move to the right pin.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home