Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX3400 Port Problem / Devices cannot communicate with Juniper switch (while simple unmanaged Netgear switch can)

Posted 03-25-2022 17:35
    Hello,

I have quite the strange problem, but maybe someone here can steer me into the right direction. I am in the process of realizing a small vanity project for the boss (he wants a TV in the lobby that loops our marketing video, I'm streaming with a Plex server the 10 hour rendered video to the TV). Everything is set up and working (WiFi) but the LG TV does not want to talk with our EX3400 via ethernet cable.

I tried changing the Flow Control of that switch port, the Auto-Negotiation, manually to 100 mbps etc, a lot of combinations, but nothing works. Half an hour ago I dug up a super simple, unmanaged 8 port Netgear switch and connected it to the TV and the EX3400 and it worked instantly, which tells me that it is not the LG TV. I'm suspecting now that the allegedly "damaged" webserver of our photovoltaic contstruction is also not really damaged but has the same problem with the EX3400 as the TV.

Do you guys have an idea what is causing this?

Thanks and best regards

• 2.  RE: EX3400 Port Problem / Devices cannot communicate with Juniper switch (while simple unmanaged Netgear switch can)

Posted 03-28-2022 05:41
    Hello,

I suggest to check cable between EX and TV and if this ok, try to swap to another port on EX.

BR,

------------------------------
    DMITRI SKAKALIN

• 3.  RE: EX3400 Port Problem / Devices cannot communicate with Juniper switch (while simple unmanaged Netgear switch can)

Posted 03-28-2022 05:55
    Hello Dmitri,

I tried that and more. I used different ports on the EX3400, I used different cables. Ultimately for testing purposes, I connected a laptop to the outlet that the TV uses and the laptop works flawlessly, gets an IP via DHCP in mere seconds and traverse the internet up and down. As soon as I connect the TV, nothing - the LEDs on the EX3400 even go out, no communication whatsoever.

Just to be clear, I want to visualize again:

• 4.  RE: EX3400 Port Problem / Devices cannot communicate with Juniper switch (while simple unmanaged Netgear switch can)

Posted 03-28-2022 05:55
    For devices that only link at FE speeds there was never a standard created that everyone uses.  So if it does not link in Junos for full auto mode, you need to configure three parameters fixed: speed, duplex and turn off auto.
    set interfaces ge-0/0/1 speed 100m
    set interfaces ge-0/0/1 link-mode full-duplex
    set interfaces ge-0/0/1 gigether-options no-auto-negotiation

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 5.  RE: EX3400 Port Problem / Devices cannot communicate with Juniper switch (while simple unmanaged Netgear switch can)

Posted 03-29-2022 05:51
    Hi Steve,

I could have sworn that I did that combination, but yes, this worked like a charm, thank you :)
    I did connect the webserver/device of the photovoltaic system as well and of course it worked instantly.

Learned a valuable lesson today.

Thanks again and best regards