Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Issue creating LACP on 10GbE ports on EX4300 VC

Posted 05-31-2021 11:49
    Hi All,

Fairly new to Juniper, but I am struggling setup up a new LACP on an EX4300 setup in VC. It's a 2 node pair. I am trying to setup xe-0/2/1 (on the primary) and xe-1/2/1 (on the secondary), but when I try and commit the configuration it complains about xSTP. I've tried all sorts, including deleting the RSTP protocol from these interfaces but it still won't commit.

I was able to create an LACP earlier (the config was wiped intentionally) on the Gigabit interfaces no problem, with the same commands (I used ge-0/0/47 and ge-1/0/47 fine). There must be something with these 10GbE ports it doesn't like.

I have followed the tutorial on a Juniper YouTube video which has the same issue. The other tutorial I am following, which is virtually identical is this; Example: Configuring Aggregated Ethernet Device with LAG and LACP on a Security Device (CLI Procedure)

The commands I am using from a blank configuration (other than basic VC setup, all management info setup etc) are;

root# set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count 4

{master:0}[edit]
    root# set interfaces xe-0/2/1 ether-options 802.3ad ae0

root# set interfaces xe-1/2/1 ether-options 802.3ad ae0

root# set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options lacp active

root# set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family ethernet-switching

root# commit
    [edit interfaces xe-0/2/1]
    'unit 0'
    logical unit is not allowed on aggregated links
    [edit interfaces xe-1/2/1]
    'unit 0'
    logical unit is not allowed on aggregated links
    error: xSTP configuration disallowed on interface xe-0/2/1 as it is part of an aggregate bundle
    error: configuration check-out failed

root#

Any ideas what to try please?

------------------------------
    RICHARD PARRY

• 2.  RE: Issue creating LACP on 10GbE ports on EX4300 VC

Posted 05-31-2021 12:09
    Can you share the RSTP configuration and check if there is any RSTP configuration under groups etc.

show configuration | display set | match rstp

• 3.  RE: Issue creating LACP on 10GbE ports on EX4300 VC

Posted 05-31-2021 12:45
    OK - So not sure what I did but I managed to get it working it seems. Will do a bit more testing.

Whilst on here, quick one - I am using the 10GbE SFP+ (via fibre) on these uplinks. What MTU size should I set - It's on the default of 1514 it seems but unsure if I should be running at jumbo frames? The LACP (2x 10GbE) won't be passing any iSCSI traffic or similar. Should I even be setting an MTU size manually on a 10GbE port?

RICHARD PARRY

• 4.  RE: Issue creating LACP on 10GbE ports on EX4300 VC

Posted 05-31-2021 20:51
    Did you happen to have "interface all" set under rstp. By default all ports running ethernet swicthing have rstp enabled so you can disabled....but looking at your command output you have something configured under unit 0 of those ports and probably family ethernet switching too. Just alway delete all the interface config on the LACP member ports and set their AE options. All other config goes on the ae0 port. 

as far as MTU, you don't need to run a higher mtu unless you have a specific reason to do so.

• 5.  RE: Issue creating LACP on 10GbE ports on EX4300 VC

Posted 06-01-2021 09:39
    Hi,

As stated from others regarding rstp.
    The children (physical interfaces) of a AE cannot have STP configured.
    So they are probably specified under protocols rstp interfaces

Remove those and add the ae-interface there as an edge device, or what the purpose of the link is, and commit check/commit.

//Rob