Switching

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-14-2020 18:24
    Hi all.

I'm trying to get vlan-rewrite to work on a QFX10002 running 18.4R2-S5.4.

I have a standard trunk interface configured with the "target" vland added in the vlan member list, but no mac-address is passed though to this vlan. The vlan named client-vlan-1098 has vlan-id 408, and because of a migration project the incomming vlan for this vlan has id 649.

I know I have got this to work on a ex4600 previously, but here I draw a blank. I can't seem to find much though a google search either.

I have found some articles ([EX/QFX] Example - Configuring VLAN translation by using ELS on Junos OS - Juniper Networks) where they have added the command "flexible-vlan-tagging" to the interface, but this just results in the following commit error: "Configuration flexible-vlan-tagging is not supported with ifl family ethernet-switching".

Below is the interface configuration:
    show interface et-0/0/31
    unit 0 {
        family ethernet-switching {
            interface-mode trunk;
            vlan {
                members [ client-vlan-1098 ];
            }
            vlan-rewrite {
                translate 649 408;
            }
        }
    }
    ​

Anyone with an idea of what is wrong?

Best regards,
    Johan Christensson

• 2.  RE: Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-16-2020 08:41
    Good Day Johan,

Seems interface configured with both "flexible-vlan-tagging" and "family ethernet-switching" does not work on QFX10K.
    Please see the public PRs below:
    https://prsearch.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=prcontent&id=PR1261915
    https://prsearch.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=prcontent&id=PR1337311

Thanks,
    Deimos.

• 3.  RE: Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-17-2020 18:47

Hi Deimos74 and thanks for the links.

But do you know what this means? The issue is marked as "major" but at the same time have status of "closed". Is this something that Juniper is working on solving, or is this more "just the way it is"? From what I understand this makes the "vlan-rewrite" (and a few other features) non-working on the QFX10k series, but it is still listed as supported feature in the feature explorer.

Makes little sense to me.

Best regards,
    Johan Christensson

• 4.  RE: Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-18-2020 07:18

Hi Johan,

Regarding the reported error: "Configuration flexible-vlan-tagging is not supported with ifl family ethernet-switching", PR1337311 is fixing the situation when unsupported configuration applied to the port and can lead to crash.

This was a PR with a major severity and it has been fixed to not allow user configure unsupported flexible-vlan-tagging along with family ethernet-switching  on the interface.

Could you please point me to vlan-rewrite as a supported feature in feature explorer and I will do my research of this topic.

Thanks,

Deimos.

• 5.  RE: Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-18-2020 07:28

Hi Deimos.

Thanks for your effort into this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't the link below sugest that the vlan-rewrite should be supported on QFX10002 from software version 15.1?

https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=3165&fn=VLAN%20rewrite%20operations%20on%20incoming%20and%20outgoing%20frames

Best regards,
    Johan Christensson

• 6.  RE: Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-19-2020 07:53

You are correct, feature explorer says the feature should be there.

PR stands for Problem Report, this is the Juniper software bug database.  Where you see things that are NOT working as they are supposed to be and where the fix is applied in the software chain.

So the bug that the feature is not working is reported and the solution is to upgrade to the version noted in the PR to clear the bug.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Problem with vlan-rewrite on QFX10002

Posted 12-21-2020 07:59

Hi, and thanks for you reply.

So, this is where I get lost, and if I understand this correct that when you read up on a feature that you would like to implement you basically have to look at three places, the feature navigator to see if your platform potentially supports the feature, technical article to see how you potentially would use the feature and then the Problem Report database to see if this actually will work or not?

In this case the solution in the Problem Report was to disable the feature. However, this is not indicated in neither the feature navigator nor in the technical article.

Best regards,
    Johan Christensson