Switching

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  QFX5100 Virtual Chassis with only one BGP License

Posted 02-06-2020 10:54

Hello all,

I am planning on stacking my two QFX5100-48S-6Q switches which will act as my core layer3 unit inside my network. I am running eBGP to my ISP and I currently only have the primary unit licensed. I am aware that I need the license for the second unit as well to take full advantgage of the vc features, but can I stack them first and then add the license at a later time, or do I need them both lincesed before I proceed with the stacking?

Thanks in advance,

AT 

• 2.  RE: QFX5100 Virtual Chassis with only one BGP License

Posted 02-06-2020 11:06

At this time (likely to change in the future) licenses for EX/QFX are all honor based.  You should get some nagging log warning messages until license is added to back-up, but all functionality will be there.

Are you GRES/NSB/NSR?  If not maybe add these.

• 3.  RE: QFX5100 Virtual Chassis with only one BGP License

Posted 02-06-2020 11:25

Hi rccpgm,

I was planning on enabling NSR. Do you advise against that? 

Thanks,

AT

• 4.  RE: QFX5100 Virtual Chassis with only one BGP License

Posted 02-06-2020 11:30

Hi AdrianT04,

Sure no problem 🙂 , If you want to enable NSR, you need to enable GRES along with, basically :

set routing-option nonstop-routing

set protocols layer2-control nonstop-bridging

set chassis redundancy graceful-switchover

set system commit synchronize     >>>>> this is needed to push the config to other member so both stay in sync(this will answer your previous post.)

Hope this helps!

Franky

• 5.  RE: QFX5100 Virtual Chassis with only one BGP License
    Best Answer

Posted 02-06-2020 11:07

Hi AdrianT04

Yes you can , as long as is the master (with the license installed), but it would be better to install it in the second RE sooner than later, you might get complaints in CLI when you try to commit, that BGP needs a license.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/topic-map/software_features_that_require_licenses.html

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
    Kudos are always appreciated Smiley Happy.

Regards, 

Franky

• 6.  RE: QFX5100 Virtual Chassis with only one BGP License

Posted 02-06-2020 11:20

Hi Franky,

Thank you for the quick reply! 

In regards to the virtual stacking only, will the existing config of the master switch get wiped out in the process? It looks like the config will just synchronize to the secondary switch given that my initial VC commands are entered correctly.

Thanks,

AT