Switching

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

• 1.  Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 05:23

Hello,

Looking for the best way to go about this. I have a single ex2300 in production now, and I need to add another switch to that stack. I want to create a VC and join this new switch to it, just not sure on the best steps for this. I do have a maintenance window so I can reboot the switches as needed.

On the new switch I already loaded the matching Junos version, and the only thing in the config is the root password. I'm not sure how to commit a config with nothing in it, so I made sure the root passwords matched from the new switch to the existing switch. 

Should that be all I need to make sure they join okay?

Thanks for any advice this.

• 2.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 06:39

There is LOTS of info out there about how to set-up a VC, but maybe start here:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-ex4200-components.html

One item missing is the fact for a 2-member (only) VC you'll want to set no-split-detection under virtual-chassis stanza. 

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB13879&cat=EX_SERIES&actp=LIST

You could pre-provision if you wanted, which I generally recommended using, except in the case of 2-member only VC.  Will not hurt, not a lot of help, as when you connect the 2, each will take on RE role.

HTH

• 3.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 06:47

Thank you.

I have setup a bunch of VC's, so I'm familiar with the commands. I have not however taken a switch that was already in production and attempted to change it over to a VC and add a switch.

I guess my biggest question is what should I have on the config for the new switch so it joins without issue?

• 4.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack
    Best Answer

Posted 01-23-2020 07:04

If the new switch is an EX2300 too, all you have to configure on the new switch is the VC port i.e. converting the SFP+ ports you want to use for connecting to the existing switch in the VC into VCP ports. No other configuration is necessary.

Power off the switch, connect onto one VCP port on the other device, power up the device, via console configure the VCP port on the new switch and you should see it joining the VC and the console redirecting to the master device in the VC.

Thanks and Regards,

Pradeep Kumar M

• 5.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 06:45

You can configure an EX2300 VC either in nonprovisioned or preprovisioned mode. The detailed steps with all the possibilities to consider are provided at https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-ex4300-configuring.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Pradeep Kumar M

• 6.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 07:05

Make sure your 10GE uplink ports are set to VCP, not Ethernet, on both switches.  When you connect them, one of the switches will become Master RE, other Backup.  Add in the no-split-detection knob, maybe add config sync, and NSB/GRES.  These should be come member 0 and 1, and you should see VC up, under show VC commands.

• 7.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 07:30

Thanks guys, that is more what I was looking for.

Below are the steps I was going to take, let me know if this looks okay:

ON New switch:

1. empty config except for root password is set, I can't commit a totally empty config so I left that
    2. configured SFP ports to be VC ports

ON Existing switch:

1. configure SFP ports to be VC ports
    2. set virtual chassis preprovisioned
    3. set virtual chassis no split detection
    4. commit config

Connect new switch to existing switch, then power on new switch

• set virtual chassis member 0 role RE
    • set virtual chassis member 0 serial-number xxxxx
    • set virtual chassis member 1 role RE
    • set virtual chassis member 1 serial-number xxxxx
    • commit

set system commit synchronize

set chassis redundancy graceful-switchover

set protocols layer2-control nonstop-bridging

commit

Should I then do a power cycle when all this is complete?

Thanks again!

• 8.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 07:37

I don't think power cycle or reboot needed at end, if all comes up as expected, but that is your call.  If going to power cycle, make sure to perform shutdown 1st.

• 9.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-28-2020 08:21

Just wanted to post an update after completing this task.

The steps I listed worked without issue. The only change was I loaded some of the VC commands using the Load Set Terminal so I could group them together. See below:

Load set terminal

• set virtual-chassis preprovisioned
    • set virtual-chassis no-split-detection (2 member chassis only)
    • set virtual-chassis member 0 role routing-engine
    • set virtual-chassis member 0 serial-number xxxxx
    • set virtual-chassis member 1 role routing-engine
    • set virtual-chassis member 1 serial-number xxxxx
    • commit

• 10.  RE: Create VC and add new switch to existing single switch stack

Posted 01-23-2020 10:27

Hi trink408

Here is the official documentation for this procedure JIC:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-ex4300-member-adding-cli.html

Regards,