Switching

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  VLAN issue

Posted 06-19-2020 22:44
    Hi Fellas,
    I was trying to introduce a new vlan to the existing configuration on my qfx5100 device. The current version is 14.1x53-d26.2. I had everything running fine before. After I added new config all vlans vanished from my list. Since I have no services running I am not aware of any drops yet.
    Before:
    vlans{
    dummy-vlan{
    vland-id-list 20-40;
    }
    test{
    direct{
    }
    }
    New config added:
    show | compare
    [edit interfaces]
    + xe-0/0/1{
    + unit 0{
    + family ethernet-switching {
    + interface-mode trunk;
    + vlan {
    + members dummy-vlan;
    + }
    + }
    + }
    +}
    Should I go over again? I do not find any mistake in config. Please help with getting this right.

• 2.  RE: VLAN issue

Posted 06-19-2020 22:51

Hi Netgear,

Could you try using underscore ( _ ) instead of hyphen ( - ) in the vlan names. I see one vlan name "dummy_vlan" in this snip that you shared. In case modifying the name works, you can try applying the same trick with the rest of the config as well. 

In case it does not work, please share outputs and full config changes so that we can take a look.

Hope this helps 🙂

Please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query.

Kudos are always appreciated.

• 3.  RE: VLAN issue
    Best Answer

Posted 06-19-2020 22:58

Hi Netgear,

I found a KB that could help but I am somehow unable to get a shareable link to it, I am pasting the details to you below as seen on KB:

Summary

On EX/QFX Series switches, when the VLAN name contains "-vlan" and when you add an interface to this VLAN, the VLAN does not work.

This article suggests a workaround to resolve this issue.

Symptoms

On EX/QFX Series switches, when the VLAN name contains "-vlan," the VLAN does not work when you subsequently add an interface to this VLAN by using the apply group configuration. This is demonstrated as follows:

1. For this example, we use a QFX5220 device that runs Junos OS release 19.3R1.

2. The device has a VLAN named "native-vlan-group" and consists of vlan-id list [5-50 99]. The interface is set by using the apply group configuration, but the VLAN setting does not work and hence when we check the VLANs, the interfaces are not found.

3. The configuration of the VLAN "native-vlan-group" is given below:

root@QFX5220> show configuration vlans
    default {
    vlan-id 1;
    }
    native-vlan-group {
    vlan-id-list [ 5-50 99 ];
    }
    root@QFX5220> show configuration groups test-ports
    interfaces {
    <*> {
    native-vlan-id 99;
    unit 0 {
    family ethernet-switching {
    interface-mode trunk;
    vlan {
    members native-vlan-group;
    }
    }
    root@QFX5220> show vlans 99

Routing instance        VLAN name             Tag          Interfaces
    default-switch          native-vlan-group-vlan-0099 99

There is no interface in VLAN 99 and the interfaces are not found in other VLANS that belong to the VLAN list 5-50.

Cause

It is a day-1 issue.

Solution

To work around the issue, change the name from native-vlan-group to native_vlan_group. Without "-vlan" in the VLAN name, this issue will be resolved.

Hope this helps 🙂

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. 

Kudos are always appreciated!

• 4.  RE: VLAN issue

Posted 06-20-2020 12:59

Hi Netgear,

I hope you are doing well, please also note the software version is EOL: https://support.juniper.net/support/eol/software/junos/

I would recommend you to upgrade to a supported version to avoid any hurdles in the way.

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB