Switching

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-21-2019 20:16

I've done mirroring on other switches to find a problem but I'm new to junipers so I might as well know nothing about switches.

The client wants ports 7 and 8 to mirror their data so it can be sent to port 9.   please let me know if you need more info.

• 2.  RE: Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-21-2019 20:27

Sure,  you will find many examples of this in Juniper documentation.  See this for example and confirm if that answers:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/port-mirroring-local-ex-series.html
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/port-mirroring-ex-series.html
    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/nce/topics/example/port-mirroring-nce-configuring.html 

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    -r.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
    Kudos are always appreciated :).

• 3.  RE: Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-22-2019 06:53

Thanks!  I'll give it a try

• 4.  RE: Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-22-2019 08:07

OK - I admit I started and decided to try to follow the example but got a little lost.

Our network is 10.10.10.x

Our firewall / default gateway is 10.10.10.1

Our switch is 10.10.10.5

I believe the port 7 workstation IP will be 10.10.10.107

I believe the port 8 workstation IP will be 10.10.10.108

We want workstation 10.10.10.109 on port 9 to get the mirrored info from both port 7 and 8.

Mirror.JPG

They give this for the example.

set interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family ethernet-switching

I think I can skip the first line

set interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family inet 192.1.1.1/24

I have no idea what I should do here - do I need this or what it should be changed to - also no idea why there isn't one for ge-0/0/0

set interfaces ge-0/0/10 unit 0 family ethernet-switching

I'm guessing I don't need this line but I'll put it in

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/0.0

I'm not sure if this is what I should enter set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/6.0

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/1.0

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/7.0  ?

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor output interface ge-0/0/10.0

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/8.0  ?

• 5.  RE: Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-22-2019 12:03

I can remove the picture if that just makes it confusing or explain if it is unclear.

• 6.  RE: Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-22-2019 14:10

I think the bottom 3 lines are all I needed - I put in - 

set forwarding-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/6.0
    set forwarding-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/7.0
    set forwarding-options analyzer employee-monitor output interface ge-0/0/8.0

It commited without issue.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/port-mirroring-local-ex-series-l2.html

• 7.  RE: Setting up mirroring

Posted 07-26-2019 07:24

Note that with that you only mirror traffic coming from the two mentioned workstations (ingressing to the switch). To also mirror traffic that egresses the switch towards the devices you would need to add e.g.

set forwarding-options analyzer employee-monitor input egress interface ge-0/0/6

• 8.  RE: Setting up mirroring
    Best Answer

Posted 07-29-2019 05:22

Those are the commands you need to to mirror ports 7 and 8 and send it to port 9.

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/7
    set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input egress interface ge-0/0/7

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input ingress interface ge-0/0/8
    set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor input egress interface ge-0/0/8

set ethernet-switching-options analyzer employee-monitor output interface ge-0/0/9

Check with "show forwarding-options analyzer" if the analyzer is UP.