Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 05-23-2015 07:56

hello Friends ,

In the process of upgradation of EX4200 new switch from 11.2 to 12.3R6 ,  i excute the command   "request system snap shot.

but i found below error .

request system snapshot

fpc0:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid

then i again execute the command 

{master:0}

1> request system snapshot media internal

fpc0:

error: Cannot snapshot to current boot device

please advice me solution to over come this error ,

i want to copy Junos on both partitions .

• 2.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 05-23-2015 18:02

You seem to be requesting the snapshot to the current partition.  Try using this version of the command.

sw>request system snapshot slice alternate

• 3.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 05-24-2015 22:29

hello

Thanks for the reply , but its not working after executing the command as you said.

But when i insert USB then it works .all commands check below please

nsn> request system snapshot slice alternate
    fpc0:
    Formatting alternate root (/dev/da0s1a)...

Copying '/dev/da0s2a' to '/dev/da0s1a' .. (this may take a few minutes)
    The following filesystems were archived: /

nsn>

nsn> show system snapshot
    fpc0:
    Information for snapshot on       external (/dev/da1s1a) (backup)
    Creation date: Jun 24 08:10:30 2011
    JUNOS version on snapshot:
      jbase  : 11.2R1.2
      jkernel-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jcrypto-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jdocs-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jswitch-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jpfe-ex42x: 11.2R1.2
      jroute-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jweb-ex: 11.2R1.2
    Information for snapshot on       external (/dev/da1s2a) (primary)
    Creation date: Jun 24 08:13:03 2011
      jbase  : 11.2R1.2
      jkernel-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jcrypto-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jdocs-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jswitch-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jpfe-ex42x: 11.2R1.2
      jroute-ex: 11.2R1.2
      jweb-ex: 11.2R1.2                    

you see ? but it is with the USB , and when i removed USB

request system snapshot

fpc0:

1> request system snapshot media internal

fpc0:

i dont understand this behaviour .

• 4.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch
    Best Answer

Posted 05-25-2015 05:48

It would appear that this swtich shipped prior to the dual boot Junos.  So in order to get the dual partitions the internal flash will need to be reformated during the Junos upgrade.  Basically, you delete and recreate all the partitions during the upgrade process.

You should keep that USB snapshot backup handy in case there are issues with the process.

There is an extensive kb article linked below on the subject that explains the process.

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21062

• 5.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 05-25-2015 23:21

hello

Thanks for the reply , yes these are new switches and since day 1 i am facing this problem . I am agree with you if we can format the partitions and then re install the problem can be solved .

can you please share the KB how to format .

thanks

shujaat asif

NOKIA SOLUTIONS AND NETWORKS.

• 6.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 05-26-2015 03:35

The kb I link above has all the information detailed out which varies by model and versions of Junos.

Basically, you need to:

confirm the jloader version and upgrade as needed

Confirm the upgrade path on your current device performs the dual root partition or downgrade to supported upgrade paths

With a process this complicated you may want to open an offical JTAC trouble ticket and have an engineer work with you live to walk through the process.

JTAC Create a Case

https://casemanager.juniper.net/casemanager/#/create

• 7.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 10-23-2015 11:27
      |   view attached

Hi guys

I have the same issue with EX4600 14.1X53-D27.

I have been follow this post but also with USB plugged I cannot do snapshot.

Please see attached show and if you can give me a feedback

best regards

Antonio

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: error: external (/dev/da1) media missing or invalid on EX4200 switch

Posted 09-08-2021 08:31
    Hi all,

Although an old link, I'm still seeing friends stumble on this one.  So to clarify, the right command for EX is "request system snapshot slice alternate" that copies the junos from primary (active) partition to the backup.

root@jtac-ex4300-32f:RE:1% cli                                                                                                                                    
    {master:1}                                                                                                                                                                    
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> show system snapshot media internal                                                                                                         
    fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         
    Information for snapshot on       internal (/dev/da0s1a) (backup)                                                                                                             
    Creation date: Jul 16 06:35:02 2019                                                                                                                                           
      jcrypto-ex: 18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                      
      jdocs-ex: 18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                        
      jphone-home: 18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                     
      jsd    : powerpc-18.3I20190716_0533_juniper-jet-1                                                                                                                           
      jsdn-powerpc: 18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                    
      junos  : ex-18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                      
      junos-ex-4300: 18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                   
      jweb-ex: 18.3I20190716_0533_juniper                                                                                                                                         
    Information for snapshot on       internal (/dev/da0s2a) (primary)                                                                                                            
    Creation date: Jan 9 04:29:39 2020                                                                                                                                            
      jcrypto-ex: 17.3R3-S5.2                                                                                                                                                     
      jdocs-ex: 17.3R3-S5.2                                                                                                                                                       
      jsd    : powerpc-17.3R3-S5.2-jet-1                                                                                                                                          
      jsdn-powerpc: 17.3R3-S5.2                                                                                                                                                   
      junos  : ex-17.3R3-S5.2                                                                                                                                                     
      junos-ex-4300: 17.3R3-S5.2                                                                                                                                                  
      jweb-ex: 17.3R3-S5.2                                                                                                                                                        
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot media internal                                                                                                      
    fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         

root@jtac-ex4300-32f> show system snapshot                                                                                                                        
    fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         
    error: external media missing or invalid                                                                                                                                      

fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot ?                                                                                                                   
    Possible completions:                                                                                                                                                         
      <[Enter]>            Execute this command                                                                                                                                   
      all-members          Archive data and executable areas of all virtual chassis members                                                                                       
      config-partition     Write snapshot of config partition alone                                                                                                               
      local                Archive data and executable areas of local virtual chassis member                                                                                      
      media                Media to snapshot to                                                                                                                                   
      member               Archive data and executable areas of specific virtual chassis member                                                                                   
      partition            Partition the media                                                                                                                                    
      root-partition       Write snapshot of root partition alone                                                                                                                 
      slice                Write snapshot to specified partition                                                                                                                  
      |                    Pipe through a command                                                                                                                                 
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot partition ?                                                                                                         
    Possible completions:                                                                                                                                                         
      all-members          Archive data and executable areas of all virtual chassis members                                                                                       
      local                Archive data and executable areas of local virtual chassis member                                                                                      
      member               Archive data and executable areas of specific virtual chassis member                                                                                   
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot partition local ?                                                                                                   
    Possible completions:                                                                                                                                                         
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot partition local                                                                                                     

fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         

root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot slice ?                                                                                                             
    Possible completions:                                                                                                                                                         
      alternate            Write snapshot to alternate partition                                                                                                                  
    root@jtac-ex4300-32f> request system snapshot slice alternate                                                                                                     
    fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         
    Formatting alternate root (/dev/da0s1a)...                                                                                                                                    
    Copying '/dev/da0s2a' to '/dev/da0s1a' .. (this may take a few minutes)                                                                                                       
    The following filesystems were archived: /                                                                                                                                    

root@jtac-ex4300-32f>                                                                                                                                             

fpc1:                                                                                                                                                                         
    Creation date: Sep 8 10:03:55 2021                                                                                                                                            

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    -r.
    --------------------------------------------------
    If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."
    Kudos are always appreciated :).