Switching

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 12-28-2012 12:35

We need to form a Virtual-Chassis between our 2 datacenter. We have 2 Dark-Fibers, but it's using DWDM multiplexer.

How can I form a VC running over that DWDM with 10gig links ?

It dosent look like Juniper is selling SFP+ for DWDM. Can we use third party SFP+, will this work ?

• 2.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 01-02-2013 05:09

You don't need DWDM modules between the DWDM Mux and the end device, the WDM is only between 2 Mux

There should be "customer" card slots on the Mux where you need a 10g capable card. You can then either use DAC or SFP+ and fiber optics cables to attach your switch

• 3.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 01-03-2013 07:11

I'm pretty sure we need dedicated SFP+ for each DWDM wavelenght !?

We are planning to buy the DWDM MUX from Cisco and even them are selling dedicated SFP+ for each wavelenght.

Here is the info from the Cisco product we want to buy:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_data_sheet0900aecd806a1c36.html

According to this document we cannot use DWDM for stacking EX-4200 switch over the fiber link because Juniper is not selling a per wavelenght SFP+ or XFP.

I think I have found another plan to do it. I have found a company that are selling Fiber-To-Fiber converter. So we could use standard SR XFP on the Juniper side, but then transfer them into a dedicated Cisco DWDM wavelenght. It's supposed to be protocol-less but I'm afraid the stacking protocol on the EX-4200 would not work with such a set-up.

Here is the link for that product:

http://www.imcnetworks.com/products/product.cfm?family=65

Here is how we could do it:

Virtual Data-Center.jpg

The thing is I really dont know if this is going to work. I would really prefer go direct from the EX switch to the Cisco DWDM MUX.

Any help would be really appreciated !

• 4.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 01-03-2013 11:19

Hi Nicolas,

Are you going to be using the Cisco ONS platform for this wdm connectivity? There is a tunable xfp module you can purchase, model number is EX-XFP-10GE80KDWDM, and it is supported in an EX4200 with the 2x 10G XFP module. I think this is probably what your looking for. We don't have anything other then 80K optics though at this point.

-adam

• 5.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber
    Best Answer

Posted 01-11-2013 04:28

We use EX4200s to form a geographically diverse VC; third-party coloured XFPs feed into

the channel/wavelength ports on our DWDM Mux/Demux boxes. Works quite well for us.

D.

• 6.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 03-22-2017 07:58
    hi guys,

I have problem with my virtual chassis on mx series, vc port not synch to peering device through dwdm. Any advise ?

RBS,

• 7.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 03-24-2017 03:06

As with most optical link problems follow the light and measure from both ends.

Verify the SFP module installed in the port - adjust the fpc and pic slot numbers to your interface

verify the optics on both sides are as expected for distence and wavelength

show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 0 

Confirm the send and receive power on the optic in the MX - look at your interface

show diagnostic optics xe-0/0/0

go to the next device and verify the light recieved is with acceptable loss for the distance from the transmit value above at each stage on the way

when you find a suspect link with too much loss, shoot the fiber to find the flaws.