Switching

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 12-28-2012 12:35

We need to form a Virtual-Chassis between our 2 datacenter. We have 2 Dark-Fibers, but it's using DWDM multiplexer.

How can I form a VC running over that DWDM with 10gig links ?

It dosent look like Juniper is selling SFP+ for DWDM. Can we use third party SFP+, will this work ?

• 2.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 01-02-2013 05:09

You don't need DWDM modules between the DWDM Mux and the end device, the WDM is only between 2 Mux

There should be "customer" card slots on the Mux where you need a 10g capable card. You can then either use DAC or SFP+ and fiber optics cables to attach your switch

• 3.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 01-03-2013 07:11

I'm pretty sure we need dedicated SFP+ for each DWDM wavelenght !?

We are planning to buy the DWDM MUX from Cisco and even them are selling dedicated SFP+ for each wavelenght.

Here is the info from the Cisco product we want to buy:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_data_sheet0900aecd806a1c36.html

According to this document we cannot use DWDM for stacking EX-4200 switch over the fiber link because Juniper is not selling a per wavelenght SFP+ or XFP.

I think I have found another plan to do it. I have found a company that are selling Fiber-To-Fiber converter. So we could use standard SR XFP on the Juniper side, but then transfer them into a dedicated Cisco DWDM wavelenght. It's supposed to be protocol-less but I'm afraid the stacking protocol on the EX-4200 would not work with such a set-up.

Here is the link for that product:

http://www.imcnetworks.com/products/product.cfm?family=65

Here is how we could do it:

Virtual Data-Center.jpg

The thing is I really dont know if this is going to work. I would really prefer go direct from the EX switch to the Cisco DWDM MUX.

Any help would be really appreciated !

• 4.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 01-03-2013 11:19

Hi Nicolas,

Are you going to be using the Cisco ONS platform for this wdm connectivity? There is a tunable xfp module you can purchase, model number is EX-XFP-10GE80KDWDM, and it is supported in an EX4200 with the 2x 10G XFP module. I think this is probably what your looking for. We don't have anything other then 80K optics though at this point.

-adam

• 5.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber
    Best Answer

Posted 01-11-2013 04:28

We use EX4200s to form a geographically diverse VC; third-party coloured XFPs feed into

the channel/wavelength ports on our DWDM Mux/Demux boxes. Works quite well for us.

D.

• 6.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 03-22-2017 07:58
    hi guys,

I have problem with my virtual chassis on mx series, vc port not synch to peering device through dwdm. Any advise ?

RBS,

• 7.  RE: EX-4200 VC stack with DWDM SFP+ fiber

Posted 03-24-2017 03:06

As with most optical link problems follow the light and measure from both ends.

Verify the SFP module installed in the port - adjust the fpc and pic slot numbers to your interface

verify the optics on both sides are as expected for distence and wavelength

show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 0 

Confirm the send and receive power on the optic in the MX - look at your interface

show diagnostic optics xe-0/0/0

go to the next device and verify the light recieved is with acceptable loss for the distance from the transmit value above at each stage on the way

when you find a suspect link with too much loss, shoot the fiber to find the flaws.