Switching

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  QFX5100-48S-6Q

Posted 10-18-2020 19:59

Hi, 

I can see only active ports on QFX5100 through "show vlans" operational mode cmd. What about if I want to see the ports that are not UP but configured under the VLAN for QFX5100?

I recently assigned a few ports to the VLANs on QFX5100 but can't see those ports when I run "show vlans". Even I can't see newly configured ports through "show interface terse". Please note that the newly configured interfaces are not UP.

I guess it is by design but just want to confirm. 

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: QFX5100-48S-6Q

Posted 10-18-2020 20:13

Hello CP1,

Greetings!

This is working as per design. The config won't be used until the interface actually exists. 

It is always better to delete all interface configuration, and only configure the ones being used as needed.  Another good option is to have all possible interfaces on the switch configured as disabled, which should prevent any links on unused ports.  Both ways make it very obvious looking at the config which ports are in service, while limiting  the chance of accessing the network on ports that shouldn't be used.

• 3.  Re: QFX5100-48S-6Q

Posted 10-18-2020 20:40

Thanks Vishaalv.

I understand the terminology behind this. However, let's say I configured the port and inform the customer to go and use that port. the customer plug cable into the configured port and start using it, all good. But in a scenario, if someone has access into the switch and they can re-configure the ports and commits. They can do it because the config wouldn't valid/can't see until the port active/exist/UP.  I think this situation can sometimes become tricky. 

I believe it's by design because to avoid, un-necessary use of system resources. 

Thanks.