vSRX

• 1.  vSRX minimum requirements for memory and vCPU 18.4 releases

Posted 01-22-2020 05:19

Hi,

vSRX 18.4r3 ova file has default 2 vCPU and 4G memory.

When I look in the the installation guide for vmware (installation guide) it says 9 vCPU and 16G memory.

So my questions are:

Is it the minimum requirement or is it that 18.4 support the new higher values?

If these are the minimum requirments, shouldn't the ova file have it set from the start?

Thanks Niklas

• 2.  RE: vSRX minimum requirements for memory and vCPU 18.4 releases

Posted 01-22-2020 05:50

These are the newly introduced higher values.

You can still deploy a small flavour with 2 vCPU's.

• 3.  RE: vSRX minimum requirements for memory and vCPU 18.4 releases
    Best Answer

Posted 01-22-2020 06:00

Thanks for the answer.

As I understand it, I can increase memory / vCPU with out power off the vm, is that right?

//Niklas

• 4.  RE: vSRX minimum requirements for memory and vCPU 18.4 releases

Posted 01-22-2020 17:30

HiNiklas,

If I am getting this right, for your second question you have to power-off the vSRX

Upgrading a Multicore vSRX with VMware vSphere Web Client

You must power down the vSRX VM before you can update the vCPU and vRAM values for the VM.

To scale up the vSRX VM to a higher number of vCPUs or to an increased amount of vRAM:

1. On VMware vSphere Web Client, Select Edit Settings to open the powered down vSRX VM to open the virtual machine details window.
    2. Select Memory and set the vRAM to the desired size.
    3. Select Processor and set the number of vCPUs. Click OK.
    4. Click Power On. The VM manager launches the vSRX VM with the new vCPU and vRAM settings.

Source: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx/topics/task/multi-task/security-vsrx-with-vmware-scaling.html

• 5.  RE: vSRX minimum requirements for memory and vCPU 18.4 releases

Posted 04-02-2020 13:53

Hello, if I may ask a follow on question - I would like to explore vSRX (and vMX) for a few weeks before choosing to order licenses. I don't prefer to use AWS or other virtual host server farms for lab experimentation, so perhaps I was wondering if I could set a few up, using a trial license, on a local server. I'm already runing KVM/QEMU based hosts and routers on an Ubuntu platform. Are vSRX and vMX instances feasible on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, or do we have to use older versions (16.04 I think per the literature/data sheet?)

For simple testing, if we wanted to host two or more virtual routers, or virtual switches, on the same physical chassis inside of my lab framework, what are the suggested scaling requirements for memory and hard-CPU. I'm purposely not considering testing in a cloud service at the moment as my home/office/COVID19 setup doesn't have a good uplink (it's a 70M/5M shared residential cable modem network). 

Thanks

TTLLC/Haque

• 6.  RE: vSRX minimum requirements for memory and vCPU 18.4 releases

Posted 04-05-2020 03:21

vSRX and vMX are also supported on top of KVM.  So whatever distribution you have once you get KVM setup you can proceed with this.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx/topics/task/multi-task/security-vsrx-with-kvm-installing.html

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx/topics/topic-map/vmx-installing-on-kvm.html