SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 12-11-2021 10:28
    Hi All:

I have recently upgraded Junos on my SRX300's and SRX340's. I upgraded from 19.2R3-S2.5 to 20.2R3-S2.5. 

My SRX300's are just fine, my SRX340's not so much. I am getting core-dumps at 05h52 in the mornings and also my users are losing any connectivity to the outside at random times during the day. 

Has anyone experienced this problem? I do have a case open with JTAC, but I guess the tech has gone off shift, so I am in limbo. There is one SRX340 that is particularly bad and I need to rollback to the previous release, but I am having some trouble locating instructions on how to do a rollback. Never had to do one before so I am kind of spinning my wheels. Would anyone know where I can locate some instructions to do a rollback?

Thanks much
    S

------------------------------
    Stuart

• 2.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 12-11-2021 10:45
    If you have not done a snapshot since the upgrade you might be able to use rollback to boot from the alternate partition and the previous version of Junos.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/junos-install-upgrade/topics/ref/command/request-system-software-rollback.html

If you just want to go back to the previous version and have the necessary Junos install file, the procedure is pretty much the same as the upgrade process just use the old version as the install file.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB11409

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 12-12-2021 05:22
    Thank you Steve. I got one downgraded overnight. Since upgrading to 20.2R3-S2.5 my SRX340's are showing a page fault from the flowd_octeon daemon. I have a case open regarding this with JTAC. We shall see what the result once the case is resolved.

Stuart

• 4.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 12-12-2021 11:58
    Hi,

Have you enabled automatic update of idp, if so disable it for some time and check for any core-dumps creation.

regards,
    AN

• 5.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 12-14-2021 10:42
    Hi AN:

There is no IDP on these particular SRX340's so definitely not that. I am still waiting on JTAC to possibly figure out what is causing the problems.

Thanks.
    Regards
    S

Stuart

• 6.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 01-04-2022 09:24
    How did you get on with this in the end Stuart?

• 7.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 01-04-2022 15:16
    Hi:

JTAC gave me the answer late last week. Turns out there is a PR for this problem. I am using APPID and whenever the SRX340 checked for an update to signatures it would attempt to install the signatures whether there was an update or not. It would attempt to install the same version that was already installed. This would cause the problem. This is due to be fixed in a Junos release due in February. Kind of odd that this doesn't affect SRX300, I have the same APPID configuration on the SRX300 as on the SRX340's.

Stuart

• 8.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 01-05-2022 09:02
    A bit of a mystery then with SRX300 vs SRX340. It's a shame a Service Release can't be knocked out before then, but I guess you always have the option of rolling back., or indeed forward. Perhaps JTAC should reconsider the 20.2R3-S2.5 release, as being their recommended software version for the 300 series of devices.

• 9.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 01-06-2022 05:35
    Yep. I rolled all my SRX340's back to 19.4R3-S1.3 and they are stable again. I have kept the SRX300's on 20.2R3-S2.5 and they continue on happily. One would hope they would change the recommended release considering there is a known problem with 20.2R3-S2.5. I am not sure if it is just this service release or if it is 20.2R3 that is problematic.

Stuart

• 10.  RE: Junos 20.2R3-S2.5 upgrade causing problems

Posted 01-06-2022 14:38
    I have whole estate of SRX320s and a few SRX340s awaiting upgrade to the 'recommended' release, but am holding off for its successor. All the different release streams and versions do baffle me sometimes. Ordinarily I'd prefer to be on the very latest minus one, but this doesn't seem the done thing with Juniper.