SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Lan side redundancy group or just failover

Posted 01-26-2021 23:45
    I am on an SRX300 with 15.x . I have an Avaya  cluster of switches on the network. That cluster of switches has a failover to each unit, much like the chassis cluster of the srx series. I'm in an environment where it is a bit hostile in that I have an appliance(air conditioner) with a problem. I'm not ready to fix the AC yet because I need it this way. Dont ask about the AC unless you mean to get a thorough answer, lol. Anyway, the reason I need to know about failover has to do with my environment. Because I have my lan side setup a certain way I'm deciding that putting code in the srx to effectively give meaning to the Avaya cluster. I know these things have a way of operating properly themselves however I think it isnt.

Here is my rig.

SRX -> Asus AP(router mode) -> Asus(Wifi media bridge) -> Avaya Stack(with failover).

Questions....

1. Can I route a failover group or something the like to that lan side cluster?

2. Usually i think redundancy is part of the failover scheme, so can i do only one, both or what?

3. Can I do this without a reth interface, but with just ge-X/X/X.x or fe or what?

4. Is this even plausible?

I realize that chassis cluster is local to the SRX, but I'm talking about doing this to get failover to operate through routing or similar and not on the SRX, but to another cluster in the lan side.

------------------------------
    Adrian Aguinaga
    B.S.C.M. I.T.T. Tech
    (Construction Management)
    A.A.S. I.T.T. Tech
    (Drafting & Design)

• 2.  RE: Lan side redundancy group or just failover

Posted 01-27-2021 05:58
    If I am reading your connection string of devices correctly the SRX is only connected to a WiFi router and the Avaya stack is only connected to a WiFi bridge extender. 

And it sounds like you are looking for link redundancy

So redundant links would need to start with the physical connections between the two local devices and then extend to  a separate wireless link across them. 
    Do the existing devices have additional ports to connect
    Does the device configuration allow AE , Redundant Ethernet or dual routed links (this would require layer 3 on stack).
    Does the AP and extender allow for dual SSID
    An alternative would be to create a second pair of link devices AP/Extender and create an alternate path this way.  If this is layer 2 you will need to enable some kind of loop prevention with spanning tree.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home

• 3.  RE: Lan side redundancy group or just failover

Posted 01-27-2021 22:31
    Thx for the response. I am considering all options. I actually had noticed that I was short on some requirements in the protocols -> lldp section of junos. I will retry my needs for the failover and redundancy after this, as well as the possibility of creating addition links for redundancy.

Thx again Steve.

Adrian Aguinaga
    B.S.C.M. I.T.T. Tech
    (Construction Management)
    A.A.S. I.T.T. Tech
    (Drafting & Design)