SRX

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Basic VPLS Configuration for 2 SRX340s

Posted 08-19-2021 15:02

Good Afternoon,

I must admit I am currently at a loss for where to even begin.

I have two SRX340 devices at two different physical locations. The VPLS\MPLS service is being provided by our ISP and I am simply connecting to the calix (ISP provided router) directly from an interface on the SRX at each site. I'm looking for guidance on configuring the interfaces to communicated across this connection.

I've gone down the rabbit hole which has mentioned configurations on the provider edge routers which of course I don't have access to. I am assuming all of this is already configured and working on the ISP's side of things.

The routing and vlan configuration are already set on the main SRX (the device currently doing all of our production routing) and I am assuming I need to duplicate the routing\vlan configurations on the remote SRX as well.

All internet access flows through our main production site. My understanding is the the VPLS connects the two SRX devices on a "localized network" and all traffic ultimately flows in\out of our main site's SRX.

At this point I am not even 100% that I am describing it properly as this configuration is brand new to me.

Any guidance or suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

• 2.  RE: Basic VPLS Configuration for 2 SRX340s

Posted 08-23-2021 08:39
    Since you are a customer of the ISP you will NOT be participating in the vpls or any of the mpls domain.  The ISP is providing you a vpls service and your devices are the CE device on the network.  In the Metro ethernet world this is an eLAN service.

From your perspective think of a vpls as a blackbox switch with a port at each location where you have purchased that same vpls service.  The vpls is pure layer 2 and a full flooding hub with no spanning tree so you can loop this.

The sites connected to the vpls then will need a subnet large enough for all of them to be in the same layer 2 domain.  And then you can setup whatever routing relationship between this group of devices you want.  You can use static, ospf or bgp to exchange routes and setup the relationships between the sites.

------------------------------
    Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
    IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
    http://puluka.com/home
    ------------------------------