SRX

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Junos Equivalent of Front Door VRF

Posted 09-15-2020 15:03

Hi Everyone,

In past, when I used Cisco routers, I configured tunnels with a front door VRF. As far as I'm aware, this is Cisco terminology.

Now I need to create a site-to-site VPN using an SRX at both ends. Is there a Junos equivalent of the front-door VRF?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Junos Equivalent of Front Door VRF

Posted 09-15-2020 18:14

Hello Luke,

The Junos equivalent of Cisco's VRF is Routing Instances. Please check the following document for configuring the VPN in SRX in Routing Instance - https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/security-secure-tunnel-interface-in-a-virtual-router.html

• 3.  RE: Junos Equivalent of Front Door VRF

Posted 09-15-2020 20:22

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not asking about VRF-Lite.

I want to know if Juniper has an equivalent of a Front-Door VRF.

This is where a specific VRF (or routing-instance) is used as the underlay, and another VRF is the overlay.

For example, VRF-1 is the underlay, and has a default route over the internet. This VRF is used for building the tunnel, and establishing the IPSec SA's.

VRF-2 (of the global VRF) is the overlay. The tunnel interface is in this VRF. This VRF has a default route that pushes traffic over the tunnel.

Does Juniper have this?

• 4.  RE: Junos Equivalent of Front Door VRF
    Best Answer

Posted 09-16-2020 01:56

With SRX you can have your IKE gateway address placed in one routing-instance (or global inet.0) and then terminate the decapsulated traffic into a different routing-instance... so from your description, I would say "yes" 🙂

You will just use route-based VPN with SRX gateways and then bind eg. st0.1 interface to routing-instance X and st0.2 to routing-instance Y.

• 5.  RE: Junos Equivalent of Front Door VRF

Posted 09-16-2020 14:54

That sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks!

I think I will need to lab this first... Off to jLabs I go!