SRX

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX1500 100GB SSD: ¿ could it be replaced by a bigger SSD unit?

Posted 11-25-2019 07:29

Hello team:

Customer published a tender that requests a next generation firewall cluster.

The SRX1500 family fits almost perfectly, except by the fact that its factory default is a 100GB SSD whereas the RFP requests at least 200GB of local storage.

Question: ¿ can I buy a third party 200GB 2.5" SSD and replace the factory provided 100GB SSD? ¿ Will JUNOS be able to address the entire storage?

Your kind answers will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Rogelio Alvez

Argentina

• 2.  RE: SRX1500 100GB SSD: ¿ could it be replaced by a bigger SSD unit?

Posted 11-25-2019 12:32

There is (to my knowledge) no way to change the built-in SSD drive - but you can purchase a seperate SSD for the SRX1500 providing extra 120G of disk space. Juniper SKU: JSU-SSD-MLC-120

Fits in behind the blank cover seen on the back:

Others have been trying with third party ssd's in the SRX340 - their experience would probably work on SRX1500 as well. See this forum post: https://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/SRX340-SSD-installation/td-p/313718

• 3.  RE: SRX1500 100GB SSD: ¿ could it be replaced by a bigger SSD unit?

Posted 11-25-2019 13:21

Hello Jonasm, thanks a lot for your kind answer!

I supposed that the "factory-provided" SSD was actually the unit on the rear bay.

¿ So is there a 100GB SSD "hooked" in the motherboard and the unit on the rear bay would represent an extra storage unit?

• 4.  RE: SRX1500 100GB SSD: ¿ could it be replaced by a bigger SSD unit?
    Best Answer

Posted 11-25-2019 23:49

Hi Ralvez,

Actually i didn't thought of the scenario that the SSD is already preoccupied with an SSD... so I went out in the lab to validate - and you are right. There 100G base SSD is present in the slot.

You could technically exchange this to a bigger SSD and do a USB installation to handle partitioning and formatting of the new SSD, but it will not be officially supported.

Strange that the base SKU is provided with a 100G SSD and you can buy an "upgrade" to 120G. A 240G version would make way more sense.

Anyway, now you know your options.