SRX

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX240 and SRX345 and Extreme VDX6740?

Posted 06-26-2019 08:44

I wondered if anyone can help shed some light.  I have some workstations connected to a SRX240 that connect to an SRX345 which then connects to a pair of VDX6740 switches in a VCS that have servers connected to them.

Layout.jpg

I can RDP from the workstations to the server with no problems. However when I try and transfer larger files from the workstation to the server then RDP will drop out and the file transfer will fluctuate between 1mb and 0bytes a second.
    Has anyone got any clues as to what might be causing this? I can post configs if you ask for them (either show conf | dis set or show config) of the SRX and also the VDX switches (show running conf). I can also run commands on the devices to look at stats etc. Please let me know if you can help.

• 2.  RE: SRX240 and SRX345 and Extreme VDX6740?

Posted 06-26-2019 09:07

It will be good to monitor the CPU utilization of the SRXs during the problem:

show system processes extensive | except 0.0
    show chassis routing-engine
    show security monitor performance spu
    show security monitoring fpc 0

Also take a simultaneous packet capture (wireshark) on the workstation and the server so we could try to find what the problem is and then confirm what devices is causing it.

As a test could you connect one server directly to the SRX345 and confirm if the problem persists?

• 3.  RE: SRX240 and SRX345 and Extreme VDX6740?

Posted 06-26-2019 09:31

Hi stuman,

When you transfer larger files, do you think the sessions hit their idle timeout?

Why don't you start by sharing the configuration for the interfaces involved on the 240, the ones we transit on the 345s, the security zones each interface belongs to (with their respective security related services/protocols enabled), the security policies this traffic context transits?

A 'show interfaces | display set' should cover the interface snippet from both the SRXs, just point out which interfaces we need to be focusing on.

A 'show security zones| display set' should cover the zone related information, again display the zones from both the SRXs.

A 'show security policy from-zone <source-zone> to-zone <destination-zone> | display set' should cover policies belonging to the zone transit, point out the ideal policy this should be hitting on both SRXs please?

Cheers

Pooja

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

• 4.  RE: SRX240 and SRX345 and Extreme VDX6740?

Posted 06-28-2019 07:30

Hi stuman,

Just wondering if you had the chance to review our updates on here?

Cheers

Pooja

• 5.  RE: SRX240 and SRX345 and Extreme VDX6740?

Posted 06-28-2019 07:44

Pooja, 

Thanks for the chase up.

I have been doing some investigating, so far I think I have managed to write of the SRX240/SRX345 being a problem.

I have plugged a server into the same VRF that the uplinks from the VDX to the SRX345 are in and from the workstations I can get 100mb transfer speeds and RDP does not have a problem. 

If i move the server into another VRF and do inter VRF routing on the VDX6740 then the speed drops right down to the 1mb/0kb problem.

So i dont think this is an SRX/JUNOS problem anymore, its more a Brocade/Extreme problem.

• 6.  RE: SRX240 and SRX345 and Extreme VDX6740?
    Best Answer

Posted 06-28-2019 07:51

Hi stuman,

Thanks for letting us know and providing some closure on this 🙂

Have a good one!

Cheers

Pooja

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!