SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
Expand all | Collapse all

After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

• 1.  After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-06-2017 11:41
      |   view attached

After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt.

This is happens not only to one unit , it fails almost every time I see this  on multiple SRX300. I thought it might be JunOS issue and now I use newly available : junos-15.1X49-D80.4

After reappliying power here what I get :

Password:

--- JUNOS 15.1X49-D50.3 built 2016-05-28 20:02:37 UTC

** WARNING: THIS DEVICE HAS BOOTED FROM THE BACKUP JUNOS IMAGE **
    ** It is possible that the primary copy of JUNOS failed to boot up **
    ** properly, and so this device has booted from the backup copy. **
    ** Please re-install JUNOS to recover the primary copy in case **
    ** it has been corrupted and if auto-snapshot feature is not **
    ** enabled. **

PLS advice why this is happaping to alost all our SRX300 ? 

Also included boot proccess log from terminal 

Attachment(s)

txt
    SRX300-boot.txt   19 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-06-2017 17:45

Hi,

Do u already configure "set system auto-snapshot" in your SRX?

Thanks

• 3.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-07-2017 01:32

Hello,

Were there any other errors seen on the devcie before the power outage issues occurred.  It seems that for some reason, theprimary image was corrupted or not available and the device booted up with backup junos image.

We usually see the devcie boot with backup image in following cases:-
      1.Pulling out the power plug
      2.Pressing and holding the power button till the LEDs turn off
      3.Panics or 'db prompt' mode
      4.Power cuts or outage or any other low power anomalies

The following document explains the auto-recovery process in detail.

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1x46/topics/concept/security-primary-junos-os-image-dual-root-partitioning-automatic-recovery-understanding.html

Regarding why the issue is occurring on multiple SRX 300 devcies, I would request you to check for any partition related errors or any other configuration write errors if seen on the devcie. If the issues are happening very frequently, I would request to open a JTAC case for further analysis.

Regards

Vatsa

• 4.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-07-2017 05:40

Hello Juniper gurus, Thanks a lot for your advices. We have not configure "set system auto-snapshot" yet, is it imperative to have in order to function properly?

The scenario we noticed that every time we upgrade SRX300 to new image and when you pull the power to move the devices to client location. It may not coming up , and it stack in boot process ( i usually dont have console to see what state is it , because its in remote office) and I ask local folks to power cycle this device. Then when it finally boot up it show that its boot from back up partition. I would assume that primary partition/image is corrupted but when I reload normally it boots up into primary version. 

Am I doing something outside of normal upgrade or configuration requirements ?

Greatly appreciate your input.

In addition , we found our SRX in this state when it lost power:

srx_300_ram#

Now I enable auto-snapshot but when executing comand : show system snapshot , i got "error: usb media missing or invalid"

when I do "show system auto-snapshot"  im getting :

Auto-snapshot Configuration: Enabled
    Auto-snapshot State: Disabled

• 5.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-07-2017 06:20
    Hello,

One thing that you can do is to gracefully shut down the device using the shutdown command before pulling the power cable. This might help address this behavior. Also it is recommended to have the auto-snapshot command enabled for easier auto-recovery.

Regards
    Vatsa

• 6.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-07-2017 07:25

Thanks Vatsa. So what will happaned if device loose power and then regain it ? it will boot to back up partition all the time ?

Also no matter what snapshot I do im getting this :

error: usb media missing or invalid

• 7.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-12-2017 05:41

Hello,

Yes, you are right.

Regarding the error, please refer the KB https://kb.juniper.net/KB20554 

The above will not work or show the following error if you do not have dual partitions:

Error: usb media missing or invalid

Kindly execute the following command to check the internal partition:

root@SRX> show system snapshot media internal
    root@SRX> show system software backup

Regards
    Vatsa

• 8.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-13-2017 12:42

I think its wokring now :

Information for snapshot on internal (/dev/da0s1a) (primary)
    Creation date: Apr 13 11:40:33 2017
    JUNOS version on snapshot:
    junos : 15.1X49-D80.4-domestic
    Information for snapshot on internal (/dev/da0s2a) (backup)
    Creation date: Apr 13 10:03:41 2017
    JUNOS version on snapshot:
    junos : 15.1X49-D80.4-domestic

root@altny-cl-rtr02> show system software backup
    Backup JUNOS package information:
    File name: /altroot/cf/packages/junos-15.1X49-D80.4-domestic
    File size: 249978054

• 9.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 05-18-2017 05:17

We just experiencing the same issue with lost kernel and SRX300 stuck in Loader for newly connected device . No changes , modifications was made yet to the firewall yet.

PLS help to investigate why this is happaning 

• 10.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 05-28-2017 04:23

The SRX has only one primary boot partition by default.  When an unexpected power loss occurs at the wrong moment this partition can be corrupted resulting in a failure to fully boot.  This is what you are seeing.

You create a secondary boot partition using the snapshot command outlined above.  This then allows the device to boot when a problem occurs on the main partition.

The snapshot needs to be updated with every configuration change.  The command above for auto snapshot automates that process on commit so your snapshot is up to date.

So the practices adopted should be:

Create a snapshot as soon as you do a basic wizard config setup on a device.

Add the auto snapshot option when available

Monitor for the presence of the warning that a device has boot from the backup partition and create a snapshot on these devices as soon as possible

• 11.  RE: After abrupt power loss SRX300 stack in Octeon srx_300_ram# prompt and then boot into backup image

Posted 04-03-2019 03:36

It's been a while since last post - have you solved this problem? If yes, then can you share how?

We're facing the same issue even with the latest software and new device. And it hapens also after a simple reboot.

Thanks