SRX

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces

Posted 12-27-2019 17:43

Hello, I'm trying to setup 2 vsrx version 18.4R2.7 clustered running on esxi 6.5.  Following along with vsrx deployment guide and I have yet to get a stable setup.  I have verified the the "Exposure HW assist to virtualization to the guest OS" is checked (on by default) and 1 CPU socket is set.

I have setup a separte vSwitch for each nic/adapter configuration but the best I seem is a good cluster but only ge-0/0/0 showing.  As soon as they are clusted ge-0/0/1 disappears and even unclusted has yet to regsister adapter 4.

The settings below seem to produce the best results but what am I missing?  

vSwitch: MTU VLAN ID Promiscuous mode MAC address Forged transmits Teaming Active Adapters  
    VM Network 1500 0 Accept*  Accept Accept Route based on orginating vitural port vmnic0 network adapter 1 - ge0/0/0, ge-7/0/0
    vm_mgmt N/A 0 Accept Accept Accept Route based on IP hash    

vSwitch1 1500 0 Accept Accept Accept Route based on IP hash none  
    HA Control   0 Accept Accept Accept Route based on IP hash   network adapter 2 - ge0/0/1

vSwitch2 9000 0 Reject Accept Accept Route based on orginating vitural port none  
    HA Fabric N/A 0 Reject  Accept  Accept  Route based on IP hash   network adapter 3 - ge0/0/2

vSwitch3 1500 0 Reject Accept Accept Route based on orginating vitural port none  
    chassis cluster Reth N/A 0 Reject  Accept  Accept  Route based on IP hash   network adapter 4 - - ge0/0/3

• 2.  RE: Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces

Posted 12-28-2019 08:44

Hello Barberde.

Please check the adapter type and make sure they fulfil the requirements mentioned in the link below. Also ,  I would expect the first network adapter to be a VMXNET 3 adapter and be identified as fxp0 not ge-0/0/0. 

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx/topics/task/configuration/security-vsrx-vmware-adding-interfaces-update.html#id-adding-vmxnet-3-interfaces

Thanks!

• 3.  RE: Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces

Posted 12-28-2019 21:52
    Yes the first adapter is fxp0 and all are set to vmxnet3. Once clustered only the fxp0 and ge-0/0/0 show. Any other ideas?

• 4.  RE: Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces

Posted 12-29-2019 15:20

Hello Barberde,

The mapping given in your first post looks incorrect. The HA control ports would not have any Physical Adapters.

Please try the steps given at the following link: -

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx/topics/task/multi-task/security-vsrx-cluster-stage-provisioning-vmware.html

• 5.  RE: Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces

Posted 12-30-2019 06:10

I do not have any physical adapters other than the the mgmt/adapter 1.  All others are set as stated in your link.  You will see under active adapters I have none other than for vmnic0.  Has anyone else got this to run with esxi6.5?  I even tried setting them up as stated under this link but it also caused the ge interfaces to disappear.  

gbe0.com - installing juniper vSRX on ESXi6/6.5

• 6.  RE: Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces
    Best Answer

Posted 12-30-2019 12:27

I'm embaressed to write this but it was the vmxnet3 was not set for the additional network adapters 3 and 4.  The system selects flexible for anything higher than than 1-3 and that was the issue.  I thought I had checked this (repeatedly).  I only discovered this when I attempted to run vSRX version 15 and it wouldn't load completely.  This discussion can be solved/closed, thanks to all who responded. 

• 7.  RE: Clustered vSRX on ESXi6.5 - unstable ge interfaces

Posted 12-30-2019 15:31

Glad to hear that issue is resolved. 

Hope you enjoy working on vSRX. 🙂