SRX

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  "groups" statement and interfaces

Posted 09-29-2018 15:20
    I have my "groups" statement in my config.
    Example:
    groups {
    dhcpport {
    interfaces {
    ge-0/0/0 {
    unit 0;
    }
    }
    }

My question is this? I have grouped traffic for my main communication ports this way. All the ports, vlan and ge 1-15 too. I also want to group the main interfaces, i.e. ge-0/0/0 . In the groups statement I have included unit 0 . I called interface-range in interfaces statement. I haven't found a way too call the main interfaces(ge-0/0/0) in the groups statement. My question is...

After calling the unit 0's in "groups", is it ok to use "apply-groups" in the interfaces statement under the interface-range? Is this acceptable, i.e. recommended?

I called apply-groups in the groups statement only. What about both places etc. My guess is to only call it in the interfaces statement, and not the groups statement.

Comments and thoughts appreciated!!!

interfaces {
    interface-range ports {
    member sp-0/0/0;
    member-range ge-0/0/0 to ge-0/0/15;
    }

In this code block.

• 2.  RE: "groups" statement and interfaces

Posted 09-29-2018 18:17

Hi,

You can use the “display inheritance” to validate the configuration and tweak it,

show configuration | display inheritance

• 3.  RE: "groups" statement and interfaces

Posted 09-30-2018 04:20

The apply groups is merging your group with the level of the configuration hierarchy where the command occurs.  Your group is written to apply at the top level so that is where you will apply this and it will merge the group interface configuration into the manual configuration.

The apply groups level has to match the level you write in the group being applied.

• 4.  RE: "groups" statement and interfaces
    Best Answer

Posted 09-30-2018 04:57

Hello,

@eugene1973 wrote:

After calling the unit 0's in "groups", is it ok to use "apply-groups" in the interfaces statement under the interface-range? Is this acceptable, i.e. recommended?

My guess is that You want to do something like below:

[edit interfaces]
    +   interface-range ports {
    +       member sp-0/0/0;
    +       member-range ge-0/0/0 to ge-0/0/15;
    +       apply-groups dhcpport;
    +   }

- then this construct will not work meaning it will pass the commit but interface-range "ports" will not inherit anything.

The reason is that Your "dhcpport" group has "unit" sub-substanza whose place is immediately below "interfaces ge-0/0/0" substanza but under "interface-group" there is no "interfaces" nor "unit" substanzas. For the group to be inherited, its substanzas need to match available choices under the hierarchy level this group is applied.

In Your particular use case, You need to configure "unit 0" directly under interface-range if You want to unify unit 0 settings for Your interface-range:

set interfaces interface-range ports unit 0 <blah-blah>

Hope this makes sense.

HTH

Thx
    Alex

• 5.  RE: "groups" statement and interfaces

Posted 09-30-2018 22:28

I completely agree with Alex!

• 6.  RE: "groups" statement and interfaces

Posted 10-01-2018 10:30
    There were many answers, but only one solution. Thanks for all you replies. This information was like gold to me, especially because of my locale.

eugene73,
    B S.C.M. Engineering Graduate.
    Construction, ITT Tech Alumni
    A.A.S. Drafting, Design, ITT Tech.