SRX

View Only
last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Loopbacks, the more the better???

Posted 10-26-2018 15:28
    I have a loopback only in lo0.0 . I want loopbacks on the interfaces but my ge-0/0/x.0 interfaces are configured on l3 . That is, I cant enable loopback at the ge-0/0/x level. How can I get a loopback at the unit 0 level? Are there alternatives to that as well? Heeeelp!!!!

My loopbacks are as follows...

lo0.0 with inet address 127.0.0.2
    lo0.0 with inet6 addressing....

I want loopbacks at the ge-0/0/1.0 through ge-0/0/15.0 level .

• 2.  RE: Loopbacks, the more the better???

Posted 10-27-2018 07:59

I don't follow the question. 

Loopbacks are a virtual interface inside the SRX.

ge-0/0/x are the physical interfaces on the SRX

There is not such thing as a loopback at the physical interface level.

Are you trying to have ip addresses on a trunk port maybe with multiple vlans then each with a gateway ip address on sub interfaces of the same physical port?

• 3.  RE: Loopbacks, the more the better???

Posted 10-27-2018 14:59

I cannot use this functionality. But I want to do this at a different level.

interfaces -> ge-0/0/x -> gigether-options -> loopback

Simply adding an address somewhere is possible. I cannot. At the interface level.

Should i filter a netmask, what?

• 4.  RE: Loopbacks, the more the better???

Posted 10-27-2018 17:26

Thanks for the clarification.

gigether-options -> loopback is not an interface but a test mode.

The only option here is to have the loopback on or removed.

This is a software version of a physical loopback connector plugged into the physical port.  the input is looped to the output of the port.

This is used when the port is the target of a test device on another port or the other end of a service to send traffic generated by a test set back to the test set to validate the configuration.

• 5.  RE: Loopbacks, the more the better???

Posted 10-27-2018 19:55
    I figure I'm stuck with lo0 only. Maybe someone can tell me about the implications of using unit 32768 as well.

• 6.  RE: Loopbacks, the more the better???
    Best Answer

Posted 10-28-2018 05:43

The logical unit numbers are limited to these ranges:

You can include this statement at the following hierarchy levels:

• [edit interfaces interface-name]

• [edit logical-systems logical-system-name interfaces interface-name]

The logical unit number can be in the range 0 through 65,535 for demux and PPPoE static interfaces only. The logical unit number can be in the range 0 through 16,385 for all other static interface types.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/interfaces-specifying-the-logical-interface-number.html

They are only a label and can be selected within that range via any naming convention you want.  A typical one is to name the unit the same as the vlan id of the traffic for a trunk port and to use zero if only one connection is on the port.

• 7.  RE: Loopbacks, the more the better???

Posted 10-28-2018 08:26
    Thx again for your awesome reply. I should have dug deeper but I figure since I'm at a close to my configuration in terms of overall performance, I thought I'd just ask.

Adrian Aguinaga
    A.A.S. ITT Tech
    B.S.C.M. ITT Tech