SRX

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-19-2018 13:48

Hi all, I am new to the Juniper Licensing.  Do I have to buy a license to use a SRX300 such as this legally?  Do I just lose functionality if I don't.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Juniper-Networks-SRX300-Services-Gateway-security-appliance/4019552?pfm=srh

If so why do they even sell an unlicensed/unusable device?  Is this just a hardware replacement purchase type of device that I would move a license from an existing srx300?

Seems like I am better off buying the jsb (assuming its an all in one purchase with software and hardware) for my needs https://www.cdw.com/product/Juniper-Networks-SRX300-Services-Gateway-security-appliance/4720675?pfm=srh  I don't need the JSE at this time

Thanks for the help on understanding this licensing situation. 

• 2.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-19-2018 20:40

With SRX300-JSB , you get  "SRX300 Junos Secure Branch Software with Firewall, NAT, IPSec, Routing and Switching Services.
    If you go for SRX300-JSE - additional to above features you can use MPLS and Application Security Services .

I hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-20-2018 02:54

I see the problem you note.  Since JSB is the lowestest end SRX300 sold why is there such a big price difference between those two postings at CDW.  And the lower price one does not mention JSB but just the model number.

In my experience Juniper only sells devices without any license or production use privilege for labs, hot hardware spare and non production demo/training specifically labeled NFR (not for resale) and approves these through partners per deal.

So I think this first lower price listing was some kind of sale posted by CDW and will also be a JSB device.

Maybe a partner/reseller can chime in on the processes here.

• 4.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-20-2018 03:53

Initially the SRX300 series was sold in seperate HW and SW SKU's where you needed to buy SRX300 + SRX300-JSB to have a valid configuration.

Later on the combination SKUs was introduced - eg. SRX300-SYS-JB.

So the right way to go is to buy the combination SKU as it's easier 🙂

• 5.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-20-2018 08:55

Steve - the SRX300 part number shown (SRX300) on the CDW page represents the box itself with no software license. You would then need to buy a seperate software license (either JSB or JSE to use the box. This is "legit" and is reflected on the Juniper price list. 

This is seperate from buying SRX300-JSB or SRX300-JSE which is the bundled version - hardware and software. 

• 6.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?
    Best Answer

Posted 06-20-2018 09:02

This is not true. The SRX300-JSB and SRX300-JSE is only software SKU's. You need the "SYS-JB" or " SYS-JE" SKU's for the bundled HW+SW SKU.

• 7.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-21-2018 02:40

Thanks for the explanations.  The description on this sure could be more clear.  If I didn't see the other options I would assume this is the base license model.

It is nice that cold spares are just readilly available off the shelf.

• 8.  RE: SRX 300 LIcense?

Posted 06-21-2018 08:55

Thanks Jon,  I bought the combo.  Glad I didnt just buy the hardware only.......the price seemed too good to be true.