SRX

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Enable Layer 2 switching on VDSL2 interface

Posted 05-31-2017 08:10

Hi all,

I have a feeling that this might not be supported, but I would like to confirm this in case I am missing something

Basically we would like to enable the ethernet-switching family on the VDSL2 interface on an SRX320 running JunOS v15.1. This VDSL2 line will be used as a backup, but it needs to share the same L2 domain as the builtin Ethernet ports.

After enabling switching mode, the ethernet-switching family can be enabled on the GigaEthernet ports, but this option does not seem to be available on the VDSL2 interface:

set interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching interface-mode access
    set interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members vlan100

root@SRX320-VDSL# set interfaces pt-1/0/0 unit 0 family ?
    Possible completions:
    + apply-groups Groups from which to inherit configuration data
    + apply-groups-except Don't inherit configuration data from these groups
    > inet IPv4 parameters
    > inet6 IPv6 protocol parameters
    > iso OSI ISO protocol parameters
    > mlfr-end-to-end Multilink Frame Relay end-to-end protocol parameters
    > mlfr-uni-nni Multilink Frame Relay UNI NNI protocol parameters
    > mlppp Multilink PPP protocol parameters
    > mpls MPLS protocol parameters

The link below makes me thing that only builtin ports support that mode, but it does not talk about the SRX320:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB15455&actp=METADATA

Anybody knows if this mode is/might be supported on those interfaces? If not, any ideas about how it could be implemented using different encapsulations? We are looking at converting the SRX320 into a VDSL2 bridge basically

Any ideas/comments will be more than welcome,

Kind regards,

C

• 2.  RE: Enable Layer 2 switching on VDSL2 interface
    Best Answer

Posted 05-31-2017 15:20

You are correct, ethernet switching is not supported on the vdsl port.

And there are not bridge mode operations available either.

I would ask your telco carrier if they have a bridge only modem option.  Some of the major providers here would provide that along with a dsl line purchase and they were simple no configuration two port devices, dsl in and ethernet out.  No pppoe configuration or anything required on the line.

• 3.  RE: Enable Layer 2 switching on VDSL2 interface

Posted 06-01-2017 00:43

Thanks for your comments, Steve! Your help is much appreciated

Kind regards,

C