SRX

IMPORTANT MODERATION NOTICE

This community is currently under full moderation, meaning  all posts will be reviewed before appearing in the community. Please expect a brief delay—there is no need to post multiple times. If your post is rejected, you'll receive an email outlining the reason(s). We've implemented full moderation to control spam. Thank you for your patience and participation.

• 1.  eBGP and IPSec VPN Loopback interfaces

Posted 01-21-2014 18:22

I am configuring an SRX240H2 to connect to an upstream provider. So far, I have put the st0.0 in a vpn zone, and am using the lo0.0 as the external interface (like an unnumbered tunnel).

The challenge that I am having is that I need to configure eBGP through the VPN (route-based) tunnel to the other side. Can I just use the same lo0.0 interface for the BGP local address? On my ScreenOS box that I am replaceing, I can have multiple loopbacks so that I can have both an unnumbered tunnel off a loopback and the BGP off another loopback.

I get this error on commit:

'unit 1'
    if_instance: Multiple loopback interfaces not permitted in master routing instance
    error: configuration check-out failed

I know that means that I have to now create two routing instances, but 1. I don't know how to do that (don't understand fully) and 2. Is there a way around that so that I can have both BGP through the VPN tunnel and the loopbacks?

Thank you

#vpn
    #BGP
    #loopback
    #IPSec

• 2.  RE: eBGP and IPSec VPN Loopback interfaces
    Best Answer

Posted 01-22-2014 05:55

Hello,

@RyGuy wrote:
    Can I just use the same lo0.0 interface for the BGP local address?

Yes You can put >1 IP address on lo0.0 and source BGP from any of these IPs:

set interfaces lo0.0 family inet address 198.18.1.1/32
    set interfaces lo0.0 family inet address 198.18.2.2/32
    set protocols bgp group eBGP neighbor 198.19.100.100 local-address 198.18.2.2
    set protocols bgp group eBGP neighbor 198.19.100.100 multihop ttl 5
    set routing-options static route 198.19.100.100/32 next-hop st0.0

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: eBGP and IPSec VPN Loopback interfaces

Posted 01-22-2014 06:08

Thanks! That makes perfect sense!